One of our favourite holiday destinations pre-The Boy was Barcelona, sitting on Las Ramblas in the early evening, supping a glass of sangria and muching on yummy tapas while watching the street artists trying to tempt the tourists with their wares. It was utter bliss and I couldn't have felt more relaxed with the 'on holiday' feeling if I'd tried.
As we are the proud honours of expired passports and our priorities in the early evening now consist of bathing a five year old and dealing with bedtime, authentic tapas is just a memory.
However with the beautiful sunshine this week, I wanted to resurrect that feeling and so popped to our local Lidl for some of their limited edition Iberian range.
It's been a long time since we had tapas and never with The Boy, but I was pretty sure that he'd like something from the potatas bravos, deep-friend manchego cheese, tortilla, chorizo, caprichas Ibericos, pollo con pimiento en salsa mediterranea, and paprika spiced mediterranean vegetables with cheese. The last thing I expected him to like was the chorizo and the spicy chiken, but he couldn't get enough of it! At least we know that he's more than happy to eat Spanish again!
As a vegetarian, tapas can be quite tricky and there is only so many spicy potatoes you can handle so I came up with one of my own!
Spicy Mediterranean Vegetables
- a bag of seasoned mixed vegetables from Lidl
- 2tsp paprika
- a large knob of butter
- black pepper for seasoning
- grated seasoned cheese from Lidl
- Melt the butter in a wok, adding the paprika into the butter when it is heating up (this slowly warms the spice and makes it more effective rather than adding it to hot oil which burns it).
- Stir in half a bag of seasoned mixed vegetables, mixing it around to ensure it's thoroughly coated in the warm spices.
- Add some black pepper after a few minutes to season and continue cooking for five minutes, eight-ten minutes in total.
- Turn off the heat and stir in a handful of the grated cheese allowing it to melt lightly before transferring to a tapas dish.
The Taste of Iberia range is in Lidl stores from Thursday 9th April until Wednesday 15th April. For more Iberian recipes, visit the #Lidlsurprises cookery section.
I was compensated with vouchers in order to review this range, my opinion is honest and unbiased.