I recently saw mention of the perfect hot chocolate recipe and a quick Google returned a whole load of recipes to use. I've combined the basic ingredients to perfect my own mixture which has gone down a treat in this house.
- whole milk (enough for each person)
- drinking chocolate (I use Galaxy Bubbles which gives a frothy, bubbly finish)
- 1/4 small bar of chocolate (either plain or milk; plain chocolate tastes richer, milk chocolate is creamier)
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1tsp cornflour
- small marshmallows (my one hypocritical act as a vegetarian; can't find veggie marshmallows anywhere!)
- squirty cream
- balloon whisk
- Heat the milk slowly in a saucepan with 2tsp of drinking chocolate per 200ml of milk whisked in, continue to whisk as the milk heats through on the lowest setting.
- Grate in most of the chocolate and whisk it into the milk, slowly allowing it to melt in.
- Add the vanilla bean paste and stir it through.
- Mix the cornflour in a separate pot with a small dribble of milk until it forms a white liquid and add to the milk mixture, slowly whisking in.
- Pour into the mug, stopping an inch below the surface.
- Place a layer of marshmallows on top of the hot chocolate; this creates both a surface for the squirty cream to sit on, and the heat of the chocolate melts the marshmallows directly.
- Squirt cream over the top, decorate with marshmallows and grate a small amount of chocolate over the top for garnish.