I tasted a delicious pudding on the weekend which I was desperate to recreate. However this is a slight cheat as it's not really a cheesecake in the traditional sense.
Oreo & Caramel Cheesecake
- Makes: 8 inch cake serving 8-10 (depends how big a slice you want!)
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: caramel – 2o minutes
- Setting time: 1 hour
- For the biscuit base:
- 300g bourbon biscuits
- 70g butter
- For the caramel:
- 200g condensed milk
- 100g light brown sugar
- 100g butter
- For the filling:
- vanilla instant-whip dessert (i.e. Angel Delight)
- chocolate instant-whip dessert (i.e. Angel Delight)
- 2 tablespoons of cream cheese
- 4-5 Oreo cookies
- Break up the bourbon biscuits into fine crumbs (I blitzed them in a food processor).
- Melt the 70g butter in a saucepan and add the bourbon crumbs.
- Transfer mixture into a 8inch flan tin (for ease I used one with a removable base and inserted a cake liner too) and press down firmly all over to compress the mixture.
- Place in the fridge to cool and set for twenty minutes.
- Melt 100g butter in a pan and add 100g light brown sugar to dissolve. Pour in the condensed milk and raise the temperature very gently until it starts to simmer. Keep the temperature low and stir continuously for around twenty minutes until brown.
- Once thickened, pour over the set base and transfer to the fridge to set for twenty minutes.
- Mix the two packets of instant-whip desserts separately, use two-thirds of the milk that it suggests on the packet (this will help with the firmness of the filling). Add one tablespoon of cream cheese to each mixture.
- Spoon the two different mixtures over the base alternating into a pattern, then stir them through loosely to create a marbled effect. Place in the fridge to set for twenty minutes.
- Sprinkle the crushed Oreo cookies over the top of the dessert and serve immediately.