I am a big fan of coffee flavours, but not actually of the hot drink. I adore coffee ice-cream, frappuccinos and flavoured chocolates but have a real aversion to it as a warm liquid. However, there is always room for coffee cake!
Espresso Cupcakes with Cappuccino Frosting
- Makes: 12
- Preparation time: 10 minutes & 10 minutes for frosting
- Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- 4oz/120g self-raising flour
- 4oz/120g caster sugar
- 4oz/120g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1tbsp vanilla yoghurt
- 1 shot of espresso
- 1tsp espresso/coffee powder
- 5oz/140g butter, softened
- 10oz/280g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1tsp espresso powder
- chocolate spread
- cappuccino cream wafer rolls
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract, add a little flour if the mixture starts to curdle.
- Sift the flour in with and mix thoroughly.
- Stir through the vanilla yoghurt and espresso shot gently.
- Fold in the coffee powder.
- Divide into cake cases and cook in a preheated oven (200°C/Gas Mask 6) for 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Mix the buttercream, but before transferring to a piping bag with a star nozzle, smear chocolate spread around the outside of the bag. When the buttercream is piped, there will be a gentle hint of chocolate in the topping.
- Break a section of cappuccino cream wafer roll and place on the top of the buttercream.