Look alright, doesn't it?
However, it looks vastly different to what it was meant to look like. It was meant to look a little like these crafted by my talented friend Jenny from Mummy Mishaps…
I gathered my ingredients, two sandwich baking tins, two packets of chocolate fingers (white chocolate and milk chocolate) and the packet of red, white, and blue peanut M&Ms to top the cake, and got mixing.
All was going well! The two cakes went in the oven at the lower temperature of 170°C (as instructed by Jenny who told me off for baking them at 200°C), and I set the timer for 25 minutes.
And then I adjusted it for another 15 minutes as the middle was wiggly still.
But opening the door to check it, made it sink in the middle so I ended up with two very concave sponges.
Which fell apart when I tried to get them out of the baking tins.
Literally broke in to five pieces.
And that's five per cake.
Out came the two tubs of chocolate Philadelphia which I was going to use as the filling and frosting, and I started to use them as glue.
Only the cake fell apart as I prodded the 'glue' on it with a knife.
So I bunged the top on quickly, and set to surrounding the outside with chocolate fingers, again using the chocolate Philadelphia as glue.
I ignored the fact that it was lopsided.
Or that the edges were falling off.
Or that the middle was 2 cm lower than the outside.
The chocolate fingers fell off halfway around.
By which time I was quite pissed off, to be blunt. I hacked the bloody thing in half, grabbed the orange ribbon from my last bunch of flowers from Mr. TBaM, wrapped it around the cake and then couldn't fathom out how to hold it in place.
Dressmaking pins, that'll work!
Then the M&Ms were out of date.
BY FIVE MONTHS!
This is why I make cupcakes.
Happy birthday Mr. TBaM!