I made a sausage stew the other week in the slow cooker and it went quite well, but I think adding the yoghurt/cream was a mistake. It's not the type of thing to make creamy, it needs to be rich and dark to really work.
Sticky Sausage Stew
- handful of mushrooms
- half a leek
- knob of butter
- carrots, sugar snaps, and green beans (or any other vegetables lying around)
- half a butternut squash
- 6 meat-free sausages (I used Quorn but Cauldron Lincolnshire would work well too)
- 200ml of hot water
- 2 tablespoons of mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons of gravy browning
- Sweat the chopped mushrooms and leek down in the knob of butter. Transfer to the slow-cooker (I have a swizzy slow-cooker that allows the pot to be used on the hob directly).
- Add the chopped vegetables and the water, stir in and leave for two hours on high.
- After two hours add the mango chutney, stir and cover for another hour on high.
- Add the sausages chopped into half or thirds and leave for another hour on medium.
- Stir in the gravy granules twenty minutes before serving.
- Serve with crusty bread and proper butter.
Linking this up to Mediocre Mum's Slow Cooker Sunday and to Plus2Point4's Viva Veg