Brie and cranberry is one of those marvellous combinations which is symbolic of Christmas. The sweet tang of the cranberry against the smooth creaminess of the brie is a very indulgent flavour to enjoy, but one that vegetarians have known about for years as a staple filling in coffee shop sandwiches.
These little crackers are a perfect treat as a canape at a party or as a light snack.
Brie & Cranberry Twists
- Makes: 2 sheets makes 6
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- ready-made filo pastry
- brie, cut into 1 inch chunks
- cranberry sauce
- melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the brie (straight from the fridge so it retains its firmness) into 1 inch chunks.
- Unwrap two sheets from the ready-made filo pastry. Filo pastry dries out very quickly, so return the unwanted sheets back to the packet and seal it. Have a damp tea-towel ready to drape over the filo pastry which is being used to prevent it from drying out and cracking.
- Brush one sheet of the filo pastry with the melted butter and lay the second on the top, this will help them stay together.
- Cut the pastry into sixths.
- Place a 1inch chunk of brie in the middle of each sixth, with a small dollop of cranberry sauce on top.
- Fold over the edge of the filo pastry, brushing the layers with melted butter to help them stick together.
- Turn over the pastry to the seal is on the bottom and place on a non-stick baking tray. Gently twist each end like a cracker and brush over with melted butter to glaze.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, but check after 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly before serving.